After hitting mile 343 of the Appalachian Trail, I have come to a realization. Hiking the A.T. is like retirement in a nursing home.
Here are 8 reasons why:
1) You have saved up all your money and quit your job, only to find your self living on a fixed income.
2) You rarely see your friends and family. You now sleep in rooms with strangers that quickly become your new friends and family.
3) You smell a little funny. No one mentions it out loud, but everyone can smell you.
4) You rarely shower, and when you do it is more like a sponge bath. Have I mentioned my love for cleansing wipes?
5) You find your self going to the bathroom in things that do not flush. A bed pan is a lot like a privy.
6) You regularly incorporate soft foods in your diet. Instant mashed potatoes are a favorite.
7) You wake up at 5:30am and can't help but fall sleep at 7:30pm when the sun goes down.
8) At this point in life, you are use to the ups and downs along the way!